Who is Evan A. Olson?
Hey, that's me! I am a videographer, camera operator, cinematographer, director of photography, whatever-you-call-it freelance camera guy who works on crews as a vendor or subcontractor. I have worked all over the country on a wide range of projects, mostly corporate and in studio work. You can take a look at my owned gear on the Gear page and see some of my work at the Portfolio page. I'm also the owner of Dovetail Filmworks, so over there you will be able to see the work that I've produced.
What does your work look like?
If you're looking to hire me on a project, here's the place to see a sampling of what I've shot over the years. This list will be updated every so often.
Broadway Rose Theatre Expansion
Produced a video showing the expansion of the Broadway Rose Theatre in Tigard. Produced, shot, and edited final deliverable.
How Damascus Steel Knives Are Made with Matthew Parkinson
Two-time Forged in Fire winner and bladesmith Matthew Parkinson walks through the making of Damascus steel kitchen knives from bar to blade.
Celebration of Life
A part from a personal documentary produced by Neil Olson and Leah Olson celebrating the life of their father Marc Olson.
Product Guide for Vic Beauty Brand
Produced, shot, and edited a 17 video series on beauty products.
Engineering Series for University of Connecticut
Produced, shot, and edited a 27 video series spotlighting different professors on campus. Some of the videos were edited with an assistant editor.
Cats In The City Overview
An overview video for Cats In The City in Portland, Oregon. I produced, shot, and edited this content.
What gear do you have?
- Sony PMW-F55 Camera Package 4K global shutter; super 35mm sensor; 14 stops of dynamic range; 4K 120fps 16-bit linear raw with optional AXS-R7 unit; EF, PL, and F mounts; baseplate and rails; and takes v mount batteries. Package contains Sony PMW-F55 with 2 Core SWX 98Wh V Mount batteries and dual charger. EF Mount and PL Mounts available.
- Sony PMW-F3 1080p super-sampled resolution; super 35mm sensor; 14+ stops of dynamic range; ProRes and DNX-HD codecs; EF, PL, and F mounts; baseplate and rails; and takes V Mount batteries. This camera produces a classic “film” look unlike any other camera out there.
- Nikon Z6 Full frame, 24MP, Nikon Z mount, and great for color-accurate photography. Takes photos like the one above.
- Fujifilm X100V Crop frame, 24 MP, with unique photo film simulations.
- Mamiya RB67 Medium format, 120 film, and just a whole lot of fun.
- DJI Air 2S 5.7K resolution, widest field of view of any drone, log profile, 3 batteries, and 30-minute flight time per battery.
- Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
- Nikon 24-70mm f/4
- Zeiss ZF.2 21mm f/2.8
- Contax Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 with cinemod
- Contax Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 with cinemod
- Contax Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 with cinemod
- Sound Devices MixPre-6
- Zoom H3 VR (with prototype shock mount)
- Tentacle Sync Track E
- Sennheiser MKE 600
- Audio Technica AT800L
- Voyage Audio Spatial Mic
- Other windshields, triangles, and mounting equipment
- Aputure 120D II x2
- Nanlite Forza 60B
- Beauty dishes, domes, modifiers, bounces, and shiny things
- C stands
- SmallHD 702 Touch
- Blackmagic Design Video Assist 12G with 4K ProRes recording
- Accsoon CineEye 2S Surprisingly good wireless video transmission to an iPad and other devices. Not for focus pulling.
- Manfrotto Nitrotech 100mm
- Syrp Short and Medium Track Slider
- EasyRig Minimax with payload support of 15 lbs
- Chrosziel matte box
- Tiffen diffusion filters
- LanParte follow focus and whip
Where do you work? And how can I contact you for a project?
I work as a cinematographer in Portland, Oregon and in the Portland metro area (that's Beaverton, Cornelius, Durham, Fairview, Forest Grove, Gladstone, Gresham, Happy Valley, Hillsboro, Johnson City, King City, Lake Oswego, Maywood Park, Milwaukie, Oregon City, Rivergrove, Sherwood, Tigard, Troutdale, Tualatin, West Linn, Wilsonville, and Wood Village).
Please do not email or call me with solicitations. Thank you!